Thursday, July 7, 2011

Untitled 2 - Esther Brown

One of the things that my mother, Esther would do is just go from intuition. She paints and draws from what she sees in front of her on the paper. It is a response process. I know because this is how she taught me to do a lot of my work. When I look at a lot of her images, I see the influence she had growing up - she used to go fishing a lot as a child and she would see so many fish everywhere. As a result, she sees fish everywhere in her work.

As for color choice, shapes, etc., I cannot speak to those. I know her work is intuitive and she responds to what evolves on the paper. The rest could be related to how she feels and thinks that day. I believe that my mother's style has stayed fresh and unique all these years because she has remained true to herself. She branches out with new ideas when she feels like it, but her work is about an expression of her.

Enjoy.

Jesse Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment