Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Black and White Dragon

This is a pen and ink drawing that my mother made. I always love her pen and ink drawings because she does them anywhere at any time. I have always watched her sit down while she was on the phone or watching TV and just produce work in such an automatic way. Pieces like this are automatic. I believe she used some water and a brush with the ink as well to give it the effect that you see. One thing about her work is that it is always exciting and making you think about what else could possibly be in the picture. My nephew, Gio, has always had a fascination with the mythical creatures called dragons. I think this is where Esther really started to develop a portfolio of these images. I know she has done dragons in the past...but her more recent ones have taken off and become much more intricate. For those martial artists that view this page, the dragon has a whole additional set of ideas and images that come with it for us, since it is a central image in many martial arts systems and Asian cultures - Kenpo is no exception. Since I view the world through partially crafted Kenpo glasses, I enjoy the implications of this work because what it brings to my mind. I encourage others to view it with there own glasses to bring the most that they can to this work, because that is what it should be about. enjoy and feel free to write comments and questions. The new website will be up soon and you can see all this and more there...as well as purchase work, go through themed galleries, and communicate and discuss things.


Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment